Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Top 10 Boys performance Charlie Askew "Mama" by Genesis

             Yesterday I saw the signs all over again. Year after year the judges pump these kids through the early rounds, making them feel like the judges are on their side until they start thinking about the top 10. Then the nails come out. It was pretty obvious that they had already made up their minds yesterday as to which girl would get the high fives and which wouldn't. They were pretty tough with the beginning group and then eased up and rooted for the later line up of girls. As I've mentioned before AI wants their golden girl this year. They always become pretty obnoxious with their early pimping. I should be used to this since I've seen the formula time and time again.

               This year we don't have a judge that really understands a rocker, wouldn't even know one of it they attended their concert. So here comes Charlie, still trying to control the nerves but in my opinion gave an awesome rendition of "Mama" by Genesis. It was "raw" and "real" like he mentioned last week. This is what he loves, this type of rock music and somehow because they wanted their perfect pastel colored lunch box vocalists, they don't give a gifted artist like Charlie  a chance.

  The news media will concentrate on his "meltdown".    He deals with a condition that not many of us even begin to understand. So I'm in no place to figure out the whys as to his emotions. But I will say this: I'm proud to be his fan. He did what he came to do which was show his passion for the rock genre.   He has so much to share as an artist. I'm not the only that saw the injustice today. His twitter followers quadrupled soon after the show finished airing. It's the voters turn now. I give kudos to votefortheworst site site. Here's what they wrote and I agree completely:
We love ourselves some Charlie Askew. He has been an amazingly entertaining Awkward Turtle that we can't wait to see from week to week. This week he absolutely killed it with his performance of "Mama" and made us fall in love with him all over again. And when the judges bullied him with their critiques, he did exactly what a 17 year old would do - he cried. You should be ashamed of yourselves, judges! The only way to make him feel better is a spot in the top 10. So dial 1-866-436-5703 and vote for Charlie. And SuperVote at AmericanIdol.com or with the American Idol app. Don't let the show use Charlie and throw him away; he's a person too and an awesome one at that. He deserves a top 10 spot for being brave, firece, and uniquely Charlie Askew.

Charlie Askew - Top 10 Boys - American Idol 12 by IdolxMuzic

11 comments:

  1. I have to say that after the first time I saw his performance I sort of agreed with the judges that it felt like there was something that wasn't connecting and that he was deviating from that spunky fun guy we saw in Hollywood Week and last week, but after watching it a few more times... the judges were full of shit, except Mariah and parts of Keith's critique. Normally I don't care for Mariah's comments or her aim to be the "nice" judge but I'm really thankful she was there tonight to give Charlie some positives. The poor thing looked so defeated and it made me incredibly sad to see my little boy cry. :-( I think unfortunately the stress of the competition is getting to him and I hope he knows all his fans adore him just the way he is. Even though I can't say I was crazy about the ponytail and earring look thing, it made me pissed that the judges claimed he was being someone else- you can tell this was still him, even if I didn't really care for it much, I can accept it was him just being himself and isn't that the reason why we all love him in the first place? You can tell how much that hurt him- all he ever has done is be himself and they called him out for not doing so. My poor baby. :-( I'm also happy Ryan was there to comfort him and hopefully some of his friends or family have comforted him too. I wanted to pull him through my TV and give him a big hug and tell him how much I love him. XD

    So anyway- after watching the performance over again a couple times, he actually did a pretty god job, maybe not as good as some of the other guys tonight (Devin was my favorite vocalist tonight actually) but he hit all those crazy high notes (Keith was correct about his range) and I loved his "Oh oh oh oh" parts- he killed it, really.

    I must have voted for him around 300 times, I think. I'm sure his Turtles will come through for him, he deserves a spot in the Top 10 for sure. I love you Charlie!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what got me, he has this huge range, he hit all those crazy notes. I was happy with it till the judges opened their mouth. They see his appearance and decided he is not genuine. I didn't like the pony tail or the earing or the arms showing but I was there to listen to that beautiful voice and he delivered. They want a version of Charlie that's only in their heads and that's not him.

    So glad you put in all those votes. I also tried my best.
    Guess what? Charlie is #1 in dialidol baby!! Take that AI producers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yay! I actually quite enjoyed seeing those arms... XD And I mean, if he wants to show his arms or work out or wear his hair in a ponytail or wear an earring... he can! I hope he doesn't let that get inside his head now. :-( I hope he's okay.

      Delete
  3. And I actually don't understand Nicki's criticism of the earring when he wore one last week and she said nothing.... His performance last week vocally wasn't great yet they heaped praises all over him, then he actually gives a decent performance and they completely shit all over him. The thing that annoyed me was, now normally I like the judges, especially Keith and Nicki, but last night they showed their true colors. As soon as he began to cry, they suddenly changed their tune and started clapping and looking remorseful. PLEASE. They are SO fake!

    I think I finally figured out what the "disconnection" was that Keith was referring to: Charlie really does belong in a band. He has all the "moves" but it doesn't look right when he's up there by himself, the band should be around him so he can interact with them more. That's where I think he can really shine. I can see him going the same route as Chris Daughtry, which would frankly probably be better for him than winning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The disconnection is that they want the vocals and type of songs of Nature Boy--Crisp, clear and pure as snow. But Charlie is more than that. I agree, if he had sung that with a band, people would get it. He is so unique that people don't know how to box him. I think he got a lot more votes than AI will show tonight. I bet you that Charlie and someone else will be the last 2 standing even though i believe he had the higher votes last night. Then they will say he is in the top 10. Doing that will make people think he barely made it in. It's all a mental game with these producers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok looking again, i kind like his arms too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give him a few years and he'll be fronting a great rock band. He doesn't look the part of a rock god, but does that mean he can't sing the type of music that he loves. A I is a waste of time this year. The judges are all crap and they should be ashamed of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The judges probably favor R/B/soul and country this year. Nicki drives me crazy with her ridiculous remarks -from her "i like your boobs to the wife" remark, i mean , really? I think the producers gave her a talk because she barely cracked a smile both nights.

    I agree, Charlie will shine with the right band. Idol used to be a place where they wanted to see the contestant grow and develop. Charlie brings uniqueness and they don't know what to do with it. I hope he knows he has lots of people supporting him and the kind of talent he brings to the idol stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt like we were watching something we were not supposed to be watching and it felt very awkward. Then I thought he's either very emotional or very cunning....then I checked Dial Idol this morning and sure enough, he's up there at the top. Not scientific by usually that means he's not going anywhere. These judges don't seem to know that if you want someone to go, don't rip them apart because people run to their phones to vote for that person. I've seen it happen over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's stated that he has Aspergers in his tumblr. His mother said the doc couldn't fit him into a specific diagnosis. But he's stated that social interactions can be hard for him, this is probably why he was home schooled too. I think his emotions might hit extremes depending on how he's feeling. Hopefully he'll adapt to the process and focus more on his talent/music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought Charlie's renditon of Mama was great!!! A real rocker, raw power, screaming rebellion. He has a huge range. And only 17. Wow, keep it up Charlie. The judges were ridiculous, mean-spirited and one-dimensional. Rise above them, and do what you feel passionate about Charlie. Love your varied choices.

    ReplyDelete