Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Get to Know Season 12's Top 10 Guys

Here's a little excerpt about Charlie from Hollywood Reporter

Charlie Askew (@CharlieAI12)
Askew, 18, tried out for American Idol last year even though he had only seen bits and pieces of the show. “Last season was the first I watched all the way through. After I watched a full season and had a feel for how the show was run, I decided to come back this year with a vengeance.”
Askew and his father thought being on Idol would be a good launchpad and would provide exposure. “Winning wasn’t the main goal,” Askew says of his first audition. When he tried out for season 11 at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Askew sang a couple of Michael Jackson songs -- “Thriller” and “P.Y.T.” He recalls, “It didn’t go over too well I knew I wasn’t ready when I walked in there. I never get that nervous before an audition -- normally. My knees were knocking together and I cracked on a high note. I’m much more self-aware this year and have a much greater sense of who I am and what kind of artist I want to be.”
Although he sang a couple of Michael Jackson songs last year, Askew’s musical influences are more in the classic rock vein. “I grew up on the Grateful Dead, Bob Marley, the Band,John PrineDavid Bowie, Pink Floyd and Queen. Led Zeppelin is my all-time favorite band. As far as contemporary, I love Bruno Mars. He’s an absolute star.” Given his musical favorites, it’s no surprise when Askew says, “My parents had a huge record collection. We had tons of cassettes, vinyl and CDs.”
The resident of Little Rock, Ark., tells THR he has been playing piano since he was five. “I had a few minor lessons at first. I learned basic theory, like the names and the notes, and which one goes with which key, that’s easy enough. I really don’t read music, it’s all by ear, all self-taught. I didn’t discover until later that I had perfect pitch.”
Get to Know Season 12's Top 10 Guys

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I love reading things I didn't know about Charlie. I love getting to know him better. He's so talented. :-) And I like that he seems more influenced by classic rock bands. I didn't expect him to say he likes Bruno Mars, I guess that's why he gave such a good performance of The Lazy Song in Hollywood Week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's so hard to get info on him, so I was so happy to see his family is stepping up to the media. I'm so glad he said Bruno Mars because I had requested if he would sing "When I was Your Man". But yeah, love that he listens to classic rock.

    I want him to do so well tonight!!! The judges were tough last night, so I'm a bit nervous for our boy. Hope he eats and is calm to perform. :)

    ReplyDelete